Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love
DigitalOcean’s Managed Storage Products Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of products including CDN, Database-as-a-Service, APIs, and middleware used to power DigitalOcean’s Spaces and Volumes storage offerings.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team and capable of contributing across the whole stack. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Storage Products team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization. As a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to work remotely with Canada and the United States or from our offices in NYC, Cambridge, MA and Palo Alto, CA.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Leading development of Managed Database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis) products
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, and more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, and beyond
- Mentoring team members
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Prior experience as a technical lead or architect
- A deep understanding of distributed systems
- Production development experience in Go at a similar size and scale
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- Working knowledge of microservices using Docker and Kubernetes
- A strong background and exposure to databases, including both relational (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL (Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB) database systems
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus and queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Ability to leverage multiple programming languages to build production systems
- Knowledge of virtualization concepts and application
- Passion for providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate and demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders
- Love writing and improving code with an emphasis on testing and maintainability
- Work well in a small team and able to balance and prioritize projects and requests
- A positive energy and passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack in a fast-paced startup environment
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.