Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As an Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will orchestrate tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If you're passionate about Virtualization, Linux, and Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing and building the services that provide the building blocks for Droplets, Load Balancers, Kubernetes, DBaaS, and future DigitalOcean functionality.
- Designing next generation hypervisor management and virtual machine placement scheduling services.
- Designing, implementing, optimizing, and testing virtualization configurations using anything from scalable containerized applications to low level services running on every hypervisor.
- Designing, implementing, testing and optimizing new services that run at scale and solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Working with our product teams to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Driving architecture for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with scalable solutions.
What We'll Expect From You:
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- The ability to define and drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, and across departments.
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, C/C++, Java, Perl.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming and/or virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Record of creating improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Familiarity with Chef, Ansible, and/or Puppet
- A commitment to monitoring and observability
- Operational familiarity with Linux servers
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.