The Internet you know and love is at risk. A range of political and commercial forces threaten our chances to keep the internet a global public resource, open and accessible to all.
At the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, we’re passionate about fueling a movement for a healthy internet. We do this by engaging movement leaders and inspiring thousands around the world to take action alongside us.
The Manager, Web Development is a key leader on the engagement team, enabling the development and delivery of web solutions that support the Foundation in achieving our mission, while inspiring supporters to action. You will hold the vision for our technology roadmap, ensure our websites continuously evolve to meet our goals, and ensure engagement and growth objectives are facilitated through our web properties.
We want to see a global movement of millions of people holding governments and big tech accountable, and we need your help to get there.
Working with our Design, Content and CRM teams and reporting to the Director of Digital Engagement, you will act as a technical lead as well as a people manager, managing a team of 2 developers and 2 DevOps engineers.
We are a distributed team, with members working remotely and in offices (Toronto, San Francisco, Vancouver, London and Berlin).
We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
- Lead an engineering team to deliver website features/experiences/solutions that enable us to engage people in our movement.
- Partner with Design, Content and CRM/Data teams to deliver inspiring and engaging experiences and journeys for our supporters.
- Prioritize and allocate project work to your team as part of an agile/scrum process. Represent the team in planning and product meetings.
- Onboard new developers and contractors. Be a positive influence on the team, fostering Mozilla’s cultural values.
- Collaborate with teams across the Foundation to design solutions to key business and technical problems and build consensus around them. Develop and deliver technical design docs, plans and roadmaps while informing the future vision of the platform.
- Oversee the coding process to produce clean, efficient code with an eye toward maintainability, flexibility and high performance, balancing quality with continuous delivery. Help us solve technical debt and improve performance.
- Steer decisions around adoption and deployment of CI/CD tools and techniques.
- Ensure the team delivers sites that are accessible and forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards.
- Develop and own the Engagement team’s engineering roadmap.
- Be an advocate for the projects and team members – our mission depends on it!
Skills & Experience:
- Experience managing people, holding 1-1s, giving feedback and helping coach team members to grow and thrive. Experience working in a non-profit context is an asset.
- Prior experience architecting, implementing and managing Content Management Systems for high traffic pages
- Comfortable leading design implementations across modern devices & browsers
- Solid understanding of agile development practices and Git workflows
- Strong communicator, ability to thrive within our distributed teams. Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Ability to collaborate with a range of people, from engineers to program managers
- Experience with web performance, conversion rate optimization, and SEO optimization
- Ability to facilitate conversations with differing perspectives and priorities, while connecting proposed work and outcomes to engagement strategy when required.
- Ability to track, coordinate, and prioritize multiple projects on a range of timelines.
- Ability to adapt to last-minute asks and changing timelines and priorities with flexibility and good humor.
- Ability to strategically manage team workload, responding to emergent opportunities while ensuring tech debt
- 5+ years of professional experience, with 2+ years in a leadership role
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
The Mozilla Foundation can hire in the jurisdiction of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany.
If you are deeply interested in the role, please don’t hesitate to apply even if your experience or skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We seek to hire a person who will become an integral member of our team. We all love to expand our skills through our work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.